Ducted air conditioning systems have been gaining popularity in recent years as an effective and efficient way to cool and heat homes and businesses. These systems consist of a central unit that distributes air throughout a network of ducts installed in the ceilings or walls of a building. While ducted air conditioning systems can be a significant investment, they offer several benefits that make them worth considering.
In this article, we’ll explore the pros and cons of installing ducted air conditioning solutions, factors to consider when making a decision, and some tips on maintaining your system for optimal performance. If you’re interested in investing in an efficient ducted air conditioning system, speak to the best—get in touch with IACS.
Pros of ducted air conditioning
Ducted air conditioning systems provide several benefits to home and business owners who want to maintain a comfortable and consistent living environment throughout the year. These systems are designed to cool or heat the entire space, providing even temperature distribution and individual zone control. Ducted air conditioning systems can also help to improve indoor air quality, reduce energy consumption, and increase property value.
Pros you should be aware of:
- Whole-building comfort: Ducted air conditioning systems are designed to cool or heat an entire home or business, providing a consistent temperature throughout. Unlike split systems or portable air conditioners, which only cool one room, ducted systems offer whole-building comfort.
- Energy efficiency: Ducted air conditioning systems are designed to operate efficiently, using less energy than other cooling and heating systems. They are often equipped with inverter technology, which adjusts the system’s output to match the desired temperature, reducing energy waste.
- Improved indoor air quality: Ducted air conditioning systems are designed to filter and clean the air as it circulates through the space. These systems remove pollutants, allergens, and other airborne particles, improving indoor air quality and making the air safer to breathe.
- Aesthetics: Ducted air conditioning systems are installed in the ceiling or walls of a home, so they are invisible to the eye. This makes them a great choice for home or business owners who want to maintain the aesthetic appearance of their space.
- Increase property value: Ducted air conditioning systems can increase the value of a property, making them a wise investment for home and business owners who may want to sell their property in the future. These systems are considered a desirable feature in modern homes and businesses and are increasingly becoming a standard feature in newly constructed properties.
By installing a ducted air conditioning system, homeowners can increase their property’s market appeal and attract potential buyers who prioritise comfort and convenience.
Cons of ducted air conditioning
While ducted air conditioning systems provide many benefits, they also have some potential drawbacks to consider before installation.
Cons you should be aware of include:
- Cost: Ducted air conditioning systems can be more expensive than other solutions. The installation cost may vary depending on the size of the space, the number of rooms to be cooled, and the complexity of the installation.
- Maintenance: Ducted air conditioning systems require regular maintenance to ensure optimal performance. This includes cleaning the filters, checking the ducts for leaks, and scheduling professional maintenance at least once a year.
- Noise: Ducted air conditioning systems can be noisy, especially if the system is not installed correctly. In a quiet home or business, this could be an issue, but in a busy and happening workspace or business, the noise shouldn’t be noticeable.
Factors to consider when installing ducted air conditioning
In addition to choosing the right system, several factors need to be considered when installing a ducted air conditioning system. These factors can impact the system’s efficiency, cost, and performance, and can also affect the comfort and health of the home’s occupants.
Things you should be considering include:
- Size of the space: The size of the space is a crucial factor to consider when installing a ducted air conditioning system. The system needs to be appropriately sized to cool or heat the entire home or business effectively. If the system is too small, it will struggle to cool or heat the space, while an oversized system will waste energy and money.
- Number of rooms: The number of rooms in a building will also determine the size of the ducted air conditioning system. Each room will require its own duct, which will increase the installation cost. However, installing a ducted system will still be cheaper than installing a separate split system in each room.
- Ductwork: Ductwork is an essential component of a ducted air conditioning system. It is responsible for distributing the air throughout the space. The ductwork must be correctly sized and installed to ensure optimal airflow and reduce energy waste.
- Insulation: Insulation is critical in ensuring the ducted air conditioning system operates efficiently. Proper insulation will prevent the loss of cool or warm air, reducing the amount of energy required to cool or heat the space.
Confused about what size air conditioning unit you need? You’re not alone. We’ve put together a guide so you can find out which size air conditioner will work best for your needs. Read it here.
Tips for maintaining ducted air conditioning systems
Like any other system, ducted air conditioning systems require regular maintenance to operate efficiently and effectively. Neglecting maintenance can result in decreased system performance, increased energy consumption, and potentially costly repairs.
To ensure optimal performance and longevity of the system, it’s essential to follow a regular maintenance schedule. This will mean home and business owners can keep their system running smoothly, extend its lifespan, and enjoy reliable and efficient comfort in their buildings.
Tips for maintaining ducted air conditioning systems include:
- Clean the filters: The filters in a ducted air conditioning system need to be cleaned regularly. Dirty filters can restrict airflow, reduce cooling efficiency, and lower indoor air quality.
- Check for leaks: Leaks in the ductwork can result in the loss of cool or warm air, leading to increased energy waste and reduced system efficiency. Regularly check for leaks and have them sealed promptly.
- Schedule professional maintenance: It is recommended to schedule professional maintenance at least once a year for your ducted air conditioning system. A professional technician will inspect the system, clean the ducts, and check for any potential issues.
- Keep the outdoor unit clean: The outdoor unit of a ducted air conditioning system should be kept clean and free of debris. This will ensure optimal airflow and prevent the system from working harder than necessary.
- Use the system efficiently: Efficient use of the ducted air conditioning system can save energy and reduce your energy bill. Set the temperature to a comfortable level and avoid overcooling or overheating the space. Use programmable thermostats to adjust the temperature automatically during the day, night, and when you are away.
Want some tips on how you can cool down your business? As commercial air conditioning Perth experts, IACS are on hand with advice on how to do just that. Read our top practical tips to beat the Perth sun this summer in your business.
In conclusion, ducted air conditioning systems are worth considering for home and business owners who want to cool or heat their entire home efficiently and effectively. These systems offer several benefits, including whole-house comfort, energy efficiency, improved indoor air quality, and aesthetics.
These systems do require regular maintenance, and installation costs can be significant. When making a decision, consider factors such as the size of the space to be cooled, the number of rooms, ductwork, and insulation. With proper installation and maintenance, a ducted air conditioning system can provide years of reliable and efficient service.